School Prayers, Hymns and Songs
Here is our whole school Prayer and Hymn Book that shows the progression of prayer and hymns across the school, that each class are learning.
At St. Patrick's you will see pupils show reverence and respect during prayer times. They learn a variety of ways to pray as part of the Catholic tradition and know the Rosary, the Our Father, Hail Mary, and have been introduced to Examen and the Angelus.
Pupils know that there is a selection of prayers for different purposes.
Thank Jesus for something good in the day;
Thank you Jesus for today, thank you for..
Pray for someone in need or ask for something:
Dear Jesus look after... and help me to...
Help me love you more and to..
Say sorry to Jesus for the bad things done in the day:
Forgive me Jesus for.., help me to try again and always please you. I am sorry for hurting you.
From the Heart
Say a personal prayer to Jesus:
Dear Jesus, I love you and want to stay close to you.
Help me love you more and more...
Jesus I need you.
Choose from these 12 ideas to build up a habit:
- Take your children to Mass from a young age and prepare them for Holy Communion by saying: "Come, Lord Jesus, there is a place for you in my heart."
- After Mass, stay a few minutes to thank Jesus for coming to their soul in Holy Communion.
- Take them to confession regularly, make it a happy occasion.
- Say night prayers with your children, one by one or together.
- Make the sign of the cross on your child's forehead before they go to sleep.
- When passing a church, pop-in with your child to visit Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament. Keep it short.
- Pray the rosary (or a decade) occasionally as a family, especially on feasts of Our Lady.
- Encourage your child to thank Jesus when they receive a gift, when something good happens and on family celebrations.
- Teach them to offer the small difficulties or upsets of the day to Jesus.
- Teach them to pray to their guardian angel and to ask their angel for help in ordinary things.
- Teach them to say a prayer for people who are suffering when they see and hear things in the news.
- When somebody sneezes, teach them to say, "God bless you!"
OTHER THINGS YOU CAN DO:
- Celebrate Church feast days.
- Mark their saints' day with a special meal or sweets.
- Place a picture of St. Patrick in their room, as a reminder of God's presence in their lives.
- Tie a coloured ribbon around a vase of flowers to mark Advent, Christmas, Lent, Easter and saints days.
- Sing a short hymn or simple prayer that is easy to remember.
Start as early as you can when they are young. Even if they don't seem to pay attention or to appreciate it, nothing of what you do as a parent is lost, every little counts, and contributes to building up your child's faith. By seeing you pray, they will also learn to pray.
Hymns and songs
Please help your children to learn the hymn 'Christ Be Beside Me'.
St. Patrick's Breastplate is a popular prayer attributed to one of Ireland's most beloved patron saints. According to tradition, St. Patrick wrote it in 433 A.D. for divine protection.
Sing It In The Valleys - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8nv6kNl93E
Here I am to Worship - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5hN_m55uoM
Be Still For the Presence Of The Lord - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZugvUQ4m90U
He's Got The Whole World In His Hands
Father I Adore You - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph-ZBiIETB0
The Lord Is My Shepherd - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eIQQayhpak
Give Me Oil In My Lamp - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Msh0PAJfPU
Shine Jesus Shine - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaTwx0ehbvM
This Is My Body, Broken For You - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCuA_ixkZOw
Make Me A Channel Of Your Peace - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihhvm6eLWZI
Praise Him - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB27OjUFZjs
Share The Light Jesus - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cUVPhsq-So
This Little Light Of Mine - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKkbIZtqhyQ
I The Lord Of Sea and Sky - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRSJFZqxdAk
I Watch The Sunrise - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRSJFZqxdAk
Gloria, Gloria, In Excelsis Deo - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRSJFZqxdAk
As I Kneel Before You - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjh5Kh5Hxu8
Rise And Shine - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63qgBPj2fFo
Follow Me, Follow Me - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoxlvKch9tA
Longing For Light - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt3Qc04ulOM